Thursday, June 18, 2009
Oshun, the Goddess of love and beauty, teaches us how to love and please our bodies. Try setting aside an evening once a week to pamper yourself. Preparing your own spa treatments is an affordable luxury and is a wonderful way to begin to take control of your health and well-being. These homemade indulgences contain ingredients found in most kitchens.
Creating your own products will become a comforting ritual that you will look forward to. Always take a moment to be present with your ingredients and meditate on their source and the amazing journeys they have taken to be with you. Notice the colors, textures, shapes and scents. Appreciate beauty in all it's diversity!
I usually begin my ritual preparation of beauty products by first creating an Oshun Blessing Incense with brown sugar, five dried orange leaves, and orange zest which I pulverize, place in a cast-iron pan and set aflame.
As I let it burn for a minute or so, I slip into a soft robe, gather my ingredients, and put on some uplifting music and then smother the flames. The incense smokes rather heavily, the aroma fills the room.
I offer spring water from a beautiful goblet and ask Oshun be with me in the art and beauty of the moment. She comes dancing into my spirit and I know it is our time together.
These are just a few of the most simple but lovely treatments I enjoy. I hope that you will try a few! Homemade facial scrubs and mask treatments do not contain the preservatives like their store-bought counterparts do, so you will want to make them fresh before each use. Each one of these is suitable for all skin types and selected because they are very soothing and nourishing to the skin.
• Mash one-half banana and add one tablespoon honey and two tablespoons sour cream. Apply this mixture to your face and let set for 10 minutes. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
• Grind one tablespoon almonds into a fine meal in a food processor or blender. Mix the almond meal together with one tablespoon honey and one egg white. Apply this mixture to the face and let set for 15 minutes. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
• Mash half of an avocado and apply this to the entire face. Let set for about 20 minutes and then gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
• Puree half a peeled, sliced cucumber in a food processor or blender and add one-tablespoon yogurt. Apply this to the face and let set for about 20 minutes. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
• Crush a handful of strawberries and mix well with one teaspoon honey. Apply this mixture to the face and let set for about 15 minutes. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
• For a scrub, make a paste from a little oatmeal and water. Apply to the face and allow to dry. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth. Or as a variation, mix two tablespoons cornmeal with water to make a thick paste. Add a drop of a calming essential oil such as vanilla, ylang, chamomile, lavender, neroli or geranium. Apply to the face and let dry. Gently wipe off with a damp washcloth.
A great way to enhance your relaxing spa treatment is to schedule a distance healing during your facial. I offer a variety of modalities through Oshun Spirit Earth Friendly Goods and also through my Bonanzle storefront. Many of my clients like to slip into a warm bath during their experience for a total immersion in peace, serenity, and Oshun's blessings.
As a special offer to my blog readers, I have created the coupon code OSHUN, which may be entered at checkout at both venues, and will enable you to take 10% off your purchases!
Pampered bliss... Oshun Spirit.
May you be blessed!