Whatever we think about, and thank about, we bring about!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Choosing the company to keep

"Size matters not. Look at me.
Judge me by my size, do you?
Hmm? Hmm.
And well you should not.
For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
―Yoda, wise master of the Force and teacher of Jedi, to Luke Skywalker

In that moment, Yoda made an impact that stayed with me today. I know that if my ally is respect, wisdom, honesty, fairness, strength, integrity, and kindness, and if I keep company with those who share my values, I will be blessed, and powerful, indeed. My reputation for upholding those values will magnetize 'the Force" to my worthy causes, and I will find the ability to create and share many things. I must only choose to surround myself with those who are also in alignment with that force, and together our efforts will multiply tenfold.

"Tell me what company you keep and I'll tell you what you are."

–Miguel de Cervantes

I'm not saying it's right, but people tend to judge you by the company you keep. When it comes to reputation, perception is reality in the minds of most. Therefore, if my associates and affiliates are negatively perceived, my own effectiveness may be diminished.

Perhaps it may be more beneficial not to worry what other people think and simply be mindful of my own actions. Consistently living my life with integrity enables me to feel at peace with myself. In the end, that is far more important than trying to change perceptions and labels about those people and situations that are beyond my control.

Life is a series of hellos and good-byes. It is about attaching, connecting, and often separating and then detaching, disconnecting and letting go. Not all connections are healthy ones. Toxic, unhealthy relationships are those fueled by disrespect, that leave us feeling depleted rather than energized and valued.

When we find ourselves having made a relational mistake we first have to honor our self respect, and accept and transform that mistake into a growth opportunity. Recognizing and then letting go of toxic relating is a necessary loss that makes room for all the new that awaits you.

Creative energy is fueled by respect, honesty, integrity, and kindness.
Healthy relationships can live on no less.
May the Force Be With You!

Full quote: “Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”

No comments:

Post a Comment