When you're happy, you feel better, look better, and are better! Here are some simple and effective tips you can use to brighten your day!• Get outside! Whenever you feel bored, antsy, or gloomy, go for a walk. The fresh air, changing scenery, and exercise will boost your mood. See the sun daily. The sun's rays may encourage your body to produce natural chemicals that induce joy. Go outdoors at night and look to the heavens. Whenever you have a chance to relax under the stars, do it. Gazing at the night sky makes you feel more connected to the world.
• Meditate while you walk. Stroll through a familiar part of town and focus your mind on its sights, smells, and sounds. If other thoughts pop up, acknowledge them but return your concentration to what's around you.
• Answer slowly. Take a deep breath before responding to a question from anyone, whether it's your boss, your mother, or your lover. Chances are you'll say something smarter (and kinder). Bow out gracefully. The next time you argue with someone, be the first person to relent and acknowledge the other person's point of view. You'll both be smiling sooner.
• Marry beauty and practicality. Next time you need an everyday object, like a cereal bowl or a coffee mug, choose the most pleasing replacement you can afford. When you use it, notice its simple elegance. Place a small but exquisite painting, handmade vase, natural object, or other piece of art prominently in your home. Admire it often.• Add greenery. Adorn your desk and kitchen counter with cut flowers, houseplants, or potted herbs. Plants are proven mood enhancers. Revel in simplicity. Buy a single rose, tulip, or gerber daisy. Admire the color and shape of the petals and remember how beautiful life can be.
• Care for yourself. Eat fresh food, drink pure water. Create a home spa in which you can retreat, relax and renew. Treat yourself to scented candles, therapuetic bath salts and oils, aromatherapy, soft towels and uplifting music.
• Remember kindness. Recall a situation in which a friend treated you kindly. Mentally extend the feelings of joy she inspired back to her. Keep in touch. Write a friend. Use your best pen and beautiful stationery. Realize that you are actually sending love. Know you're loved. There's no greater joy!