Whatever we think about, and thank about, we bring about!

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2009

The color of joy!


Lately, I've been drawn to oranges. Not only to the fruit, but the color: pumpkin, carnelian, marigold. I've been wearing it and eating it, aware of my attraction to orange and appreciating it's energy.

The truth is that I 've been on a joyride!

I've been on a happiness bender! I admit it, and I must have needed it... I have been working a lot, lately. And so, I will make no apologies for my mango-colored pedicure, coral lipstick and crystal vases filled with Chrysanthemums. I've made pumpkin curried soup, and squash pie, and cinnamon carrots. I may have purchased a few too many gourds to decorate this fall ... and yes, I've got an ornage cinnamon candle burning on my desk right now!

The ancients knew that colors can dramatically affect our health, inner harmony and our emotions. Western medicine is beginning to embrace the color and light therapies which alternative practitioners have employed through chakra balacing and crystal healing, and luxury spas offer in mood lighting and color baths.

I intuit color as a living energy, light, an electromagnetic energy produced by the sun in different wavelengths. As the light is absorbed and reflected we experience different colors. The length of a wave defines its color, and how it resonates in our own biodynamic systems. Like other vibrational therapies including aromatherapy, and music, color effects our bodies, minds, emotions and spirits.

A very basic guideline to using color therapies for wellness follows:

Red stimulates brain wave activity, increases heart rate, respirations and blood pressure, excites sexual glands. It energizes the first chakra (coccyx). It warms us and awakens us physically and energizes our blood. It is a good color to wear when we have colds and poor circulation. Too much red can over stimulate and make some illnesses worse. High blood pressure is an indicator of too much red energy in the body. It is a color for war, prosperity, fire, and rising sun. Spiritually it is the root color of fire and connects us to our physical self.

Orange is the color of joy and wisdom. It affects the second chakra (sacral). It gives an energy, stimulates appetite and it is a good color for illnesses of the colon and digestion. Spiritually it is the color of joy. It connects us to our emotional self.

Yellow is the solar plexus chakra. It energizes, relieves depression, improves memory, stimulates appetite and helps in digestive problems. Spiritually it is the color of wisdom and connects us to our mental self.

Green affects the heart chakra. It has a calming effect and balances the nervous system. Green color is soothing, relaxing mentally as well as physically, helps those suffering from depression, anxiety, nervousness. It is a good color for cardiac conditions, high blood pressure and ulcers. Since green stimulates growth, it should be avoided in cancers and other tumors. Spiritually it is the color of love and connects us to perfect love.

Blue is the color for the throat chakra. It is a good color in respiratory illness or throat infections. Blue is calming and cooling to our system and hence, a good color to counteract hypertension. Spiritually it is the color of health and connects us to holistic thought.

Indigo is the color for healing of the brow chakra. It is a good color for sinusitis, immunity problems, and all face problems. Too much of this color can cause depression. Spiritually it is the color of intuition and connects us to our unconscious self.

Violet is the color of the crown chakra. It is cleansing, strengthening, and awakening, suppresses appetite, provides a peaceful environment. It affects the skeletal system of the body. It is a good color for improving immunity, cancerous conditions, and arthritis. It also purifies the system and is an excellent color for headaches and migrains. Spiritually it is the color of faith and connects us to our spiritual self.

And so, with this understanding I will indulge my senses with all things orange 'til I am filled. I trust myself to know what I need, even if its just a new shade of lipstick, a bumpy gourd, or a glass of fresh squeezed juice. I am feeling playful and enthusiastic, and very creative...

I think I'll make a peach cobbler!

May you be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment